Slip Cup New Idea Beer PongLet’s face it – beer pong, for as fantastic a tailgating game as it is, is also a bit unhygienic. Players throw ping-pong balls onto the ground, clean them off with dirty water, and then drink the beer they’ve come in contact with. After you’ve played a while, you get used to it. But apparently, you no longer have to. Five friends from Connecticut have invented the “Slip Cup”, which sits on top of each cup, blocking the balls from hitting the beer. They also don’t interfere with gameplay at all – they’re basically smaller versions of the normal cups you already use. It’s a genius idea. KickstarterThe Slip Cup is trying to raise $70,000 on Kickstarter to get the product into major retailers. So far, they’ve racked up just over $13,000.Here’s the video from the Kickstarter page. Needless to say, this is a game-changer both for tailgating and house parties. Would you buy one?[Patch]
zoomImage Courtesy: BW LPG Norway’s gas transportation company BW Green Carriers AS, part of BW Group, is taking Miami-based bunker supplier World Fuel Services Inc to court over contaminated bunkers.The company filed a complaint at Florida Southern District Court on October 19, 2018, seeking compensation for damages caused by contaminated bunkers to two of its LPG tankers, M/V BW Kyoto and M/V BW Leo, court documents show.The fuel tanked into the company’s ships in April in the Nederland port in Texas has reportedly caused the ships’ fuel pump systems to clog up, posing a danger to the ships’ engines. The fuel had to be removed before causing any further damage.Both BW Group and World Fuel Services are yet to provide World Maritime News with a comment on the matter.Back in September, Trafigura Maritime lodged a complaint against WFSC with Florida Southern District Court over bunker issues.Contaminated marine fuels are believed to have caused operational issues to over 150 ships this year.The contaminated fuels were initially delivered to ships in Houston in January this year, followed by Panama, Singapore and Malaysia in April, causing a myriad of technical and mechanical problems for ship owners and operators.The contaminated fuel can lead to engine failures and associated losses of propulsion, placing the safety of the affected ship and crew at risk.Shipowners’ associations have vehemently criticized lack of action from maritime authorities to address the issue, curb the further spread of contaminated fuels and investigate the causes of the problem and sources of contamination.World Maritime News Staff
FORT NELSON, B.C. – The Fort Nelson RCMP are investigating graffiti found on the side of R.L. Angus School in Fort Nelson that suggests there could be a school shooting on May 7 and 8.According to a letter sent out to parents on May 4, the School District and RCMP discovered the graffiti and are now investigating the threat. At this time, Superintendent of Schools Diana Samchuck says “the threat is not seen as entirely credible, however, one can ever be 100% certain.”The District says parents can decide if they want to bring their child to school on Monday, May 7 and Tuesday, May 8. The RCMP will have an increased presence at the school both days and the side doors will be secured. All students, staff and visitors will have to use the main entrance of the building.Absences will not be counted towards any attendance policy.District Staff are asking the public to contact the RCMP if they have any further information about the graffiti.A similar threat was found targeting the Fort Nelson Secondary School back in February.
DAWSON CREEK, B.C. – The Farmers Advocate Office is currently seeking participants to fill out an evaluation survey.On behalf of the Peace River Regional District, MNP LLP is conducting an evaluation survey on the Farmers Advocate Office as an independent third party.The Regional District says this evaluation is to determine if the FAO is performing as expected and assess if changes and improvements to services are needed. “This evaluation requires input from all the stakeholders and landowners in the region who have interactions with the oil and gas industry are encouraged to participate in this survey.”The survey takes approximately five to ten minutes to complete, depending on the amount of detail you provide.All responses must be submitted by Wednesday, December 12.The survey can be accessed at the following link: https://form.simplesurvey.com/f/l/northeast-landowner
Pochynok said the Liberals see Horgan as responsible because he hasn’t provided tax relief on gasoline. Expanding the Trans Mountain pipeline, which Horgan has opposed, could also have increased the flow of gas in British Columbia, she added.Jobs Minister Bruce Ralston said Horgan has appointed his deputy minister to explore regulatory options for relief, but he also noted the government’s carbon tax increase this year only added one cent per litre to the cost of gas.Offering tax relief may just give oil companies an opportunity to increase prices and eat up the difference, he said.Ralston acknowledged that the NDP has used its caucus fund for political purposes.“We do some political advertising with the same money but we tend to focus on the good things the government is doing,” he said.He said it would be up to an internal committee to determine if the practice should be reviewed. “The whole is worse than the sum of the parts. You have taxpayer money being used and you have incorrect information,” Weaver says.“Taxpayer money is being used to spread partisan rhetoric that’s clearly wrong. I find it disgraceful.”Liberal caucus spokeswoman Carlie Pochynok defended the ads, adding that the NDP used its own caucus fund for radio ads attacking Liberal Leader Andrew Wilkinson in March.“Every caucus is provided a budget to use as they see fit,” she said. “Our (ads) are basically opposition work that are more public because they’re giant billboards. Our job is to criticize government and hold them to account.” VANCOUVER, B.C. – Green party Leader Andrew Weaver is calling for a ban on the use of taxpayer money for political attack ads after the B.C. Liberals bought billboards blaming Premier John Horgan for a spike in gas prices.The digital billboards along commuter routes on the Lower Mainland say “Gas prices?” and “Spending more to commute?” followed by “Blame John Horgan.”It’s not the first time a provincial political party has used its caucus funding for partisan purposes and Weaver says that needs to change. Green party house leader Sonia Furstenau will bring the issue to the multi-party Legislative Assembly Management Committee to “ensure it considers that a policy be brought in that would no longer allow taxpayer funding of partisan ads.”What that policy would look like, such as whether it would apply only to caucus funds or to any taxpayer money, would be determined by the committee if it approves the idea.There’s no law or regulation explicitly prohibiting a party caucus from using its fund for political purposes, Weaver says.“There should be, but there’s not,” he says.Weaver took aim at the billboards not only over how they were paid for but also for portraying information that’s “blatantly false.”It’s misleading to suggest the NDP government is solely responsibly for gas prices that have reached heights of $1.70 per litre on the Lower Mainland when restricted capacity at Washington state refineries is a major factor, he says.
Indian Wells (United States): Ailing world number three Alexander Zverev crashed out of the ATP Indian Wells Masters, where Novak Djokovic’s third round match was suspended by rain with one game completed. Jan-Lennard Struff, ranked 55th in the world, notched his first victory over Zverev in five tries, breaking him once in the first set and three times in the second for a 6-3, 6-1 victory. “I’ve been sick for a week,” said the 21-year-old Zverev, who lost the Acapulco final to Australian Nick Kyrgios the week before Indian Wells began. “That hasn’t changed, unfortunately. Also Read – Dhoni, Paes spotted playing football together”I think I just got unlucky, I got a virus somewhere and that’s how it is.” Zverev, the owner of three Masters 1000 titles who has never made it to the quarter-finals at Indian Wells, said he would now focus on recuperating and preparing for the Miami Masters, where he’ll be hoping to improve on his runner-up finish to John Isner last year. “Now it’s about getting healthy and about recovering and preparing myself for Miami, because Miami is the tournament I do well in, history-wise,” he said. “Here I have always struggled.” Despite the circumstances, Struff was delighted to get a first win over Zverev. Also Read – Andy Murray to make Grand Slam return at Australian Open”Yeah, 6-3, 6-1, it’s amazing,” he said. “Played a good match. He was missing some shots today, but at the end of the day I’m very happy with that.” Struff next faces 13th-seeded Canadian Milos Raonic, who rallied from 4-1 down in the third set to beat US qualifier Marcos Giron 4-6, 6-4, 6-4. Giron, 25, looked set to claim the biggest win of a career that has been hindered by two hip operations when he took a 4-1 lead in the third set. But Raonic, runner-up at Indian Wells in 2016, called on all of his experience to turn things around against the American, who had never won two ATP Tour matches in a row until this week. “He came up with the goods and definitely pushed me sort of to the brink there where I was getting a little bit frustrated,” Raonic said. “I just kept trying to plug away. There were two games that I had break chances to get back into the third, and I didn’t make it count. Luckily I made the last two count. “I’m proud of the way I competed today. That’s what got me through,” said Raonic, who fell to Struff in the first round at Dubai last month. World number one Novak Djokovic, playing his first tournament since grabbing a record seventh Australian Open title in January, completed just one game against unseeded German Philipp Kohlschreiber before rain swept across the California desert. The duo were sent to the locker room and with no break in the weather in sight organizers suspended play for the night, with the match to resume on Tuesday. The winner will face in-form Frenchman Gael Monfils, who rolled past Albert Ramos Vinolas 6-0, 6-3. Monfils won his eighth career title at Rotterdam in February, followed up that performance with a run to the semi-finals in Dubai. In other early matches, 40-year-old Ivo Karlovic defeated India’s Prajnesh Gunneswaran 6-3, 7-6 (7/3). The Croatian veteran will face Austrian seventh seed Dominic Thiem, who beat France’s Gilles Simon 6-3, 6-1.
On their own, Burns’s numbers are impressive. But when you compare them to those of his peers, they look downright heroic. Since the lockout — and excluding 2012-13, which was a half-season — the top-10 defensemen in the league each season2Ranked by points scored have scored an average of 58 points. This year, Burns scored 18 more points than that. The entire blue line corps of five teams failed to notch more goals than Burns, including the Washington Capitals, who had the best record in hockey. Other blue liners have been snubbed since Pronger’s Hart win. Most notably, Nicklas Lidstrom won seven Norris trophies as the league’s top defenseman, but he was never even named as a finalist for the Hart trophy.3Burns will likely win his first Norris tonight. It’s true that Lidstrom’s reign of dominance coincided with the rise of generational talents like Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin, but it’s difficult to believe one of the five best defensemen to ever play hockey wasn’t good enough to at least be considered as one of the three best players in the NHL during that stretch.And if the dearth of defensemen nominated for the Hart since Pronger’s win in ‘99-00 looks suspicious, all you’ve got to do is look at the three decades preceding his win to understand it’s been something of an enduring trend: before Pronger, the last defenseman to win the Hart trophy was Bobby Orr in 1971-72.4Orr won the award three times consecutively between 1969-70 and 1971-72, scoring 376 points over that stretch. It’s the second-best three year span for a defenseman in NHL history. And before Orr? It was Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Babe Pratt, who won the Hart in 1943-44. Hockey writers—apparently—don’t have much love for defensemen.Although it ostensibly honors the best player on the ice, the Hart trophy is basically an award given to the top forward — and really just the top center 5Since Orr last won the Hart in 1971-72, 28 of the 45 winners have been center icemen. That Wayne Gretzky played in that span helped. — and every once in awhile the top goalie in the NHL. Until the Hart’s description reads, “Given to the league’s best centerman (and sometimes it’s best goalie, too),” it’s due time the PHWA begins taking the candidacy of the league’s top defensemen for the league’s top honors seriously. At the NHL’s annual awards show tonight in Las Vegas, the shiniest piece of hardware that will be given out is the Hart Memorial Trophy, which is awarded to the player deemed to be the most valuable to his team by the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association. The shortlist of nominees includes Penguins’ captain Sidney Crosby, Oilers’ phenom Connor McDavid, and Blue Jackets’ goalie Sergei Bobrovsky — all of whom had terrific seasons. But no matter who wins, there’s an argument to be made that it will be the wrong choice. This is because the league’s most outstanding performance came from someone who wasn’t nominated.San Jose Sharks’ defenseman Brent Burns turned heads all season, and often for reasons other than his toothless smile, man bun and ZZ Top beard. His production was everything you could ask of someone on the blue line, notching 76 points, tied for the fourth-highest point total by a defenseman since the lockout of 2004-05. Of those 76 points, 29 were goals, which was 70 percent more than the second-best defenseman and the most by anyone at the position since 2008-09. Burns isn’t only a goal-producing machine—he also led the league in point shares, 1Point shares roughly translate to the amount of a team’s points one player is responsible for. A decent analog is Bill James’ win shares, a complicated formula popular among baseball statheads. accounting for more of his team’s success in the standings than any of the three (still very worthy) MVP candidates nominated above him. He’s also the only player in the NHL to finish in the top five in both offensive and defensive point shares. That’s pretty impressive stuff, but not impressive enough to be a finalist for the Hart, apparently.Despite Burns’s gaudy scoring numbers and clear impact on his team’s success, it shouldn’t come as a shock that the PHWA left Burns off its list: Defensemen, despite representing one third of the players on ice, have a long history of being overlooked. The last time a defenseman was nominated for the Hart trophy, we were all basking in relief that Y2K hadn’t destroyed civilization. Chris Pronger won the award after his brilliant 1999-00 season with the St. Louis Blues. In his MVP-winning campaign, Pronger notched 62 points and led the NHL with 14.2 point shares, both of which fall short of Burns’s numbers from 2016-17.
Then-junior Nick Gray will run the men’s 60-meter-dash, 200-meter-dash and 4×400-meter-relay this weekend at the Music City Challenge in Nashville, Tennessee. Credit: Courtesy of Ohio State AthleticsOhio State hosted its only home meet of the season Friday at French Field House.“It’s a special moment, being able to perform [at] home because we never get to,” sophomore sprinter Andre Jeff said. The Ohio State Buckeye Tune-Up hosted schools from Division I, II and III.Men’s recapSenior Nick Gray, coming off a new Ohio State 60-meter dash record that was set at last weeks meet at Clemson, finished first today in the 60-meter dash with a time of 6.74s. Jeff finished first in the 300-meter dash with a mark of 33.82. The Buckeyes took home first and second in the 600-meter run, with sophomore Tyrese Fajardo finishing with a time of 1:21.58 and senior Kyle McKinney following up with a time of 1:22.12. Junior Alexander Lomong placed first for the Buckeyes in the 800-meter run, with a mark of 1:53.18. Women’s recapSenior Sade Olatoye outdid herself once again, breaking her own Ohio State record in shot put with a throw of 17.73 meters. She took first in the shot put and placed second in weight throw with a throw of 23.24 meters. “I had a good mindset [going into the meet] and I was able to come out with a win,” Olatoye said. “It was our only home meet, so definitely tried to show the Bucks that we’re ready to go for Big Ten.”Sophomore Anavia Battle and senior Bliss Soleyn placed first and second in the 60-meter dash, consecutively. Battle ran a time of 7.32s and Soleyn with a time of 7.43s. Junior Alexus Pyles and freshman Britten Bowen finished the 60-meter hurdles in second and third. Pyles with a time of 8.41s and Bowen with a time of 8.57s. The Buckeyes will begin preparing for the Big Ten Indoor Track and Field Championships in Ann Arbor, Michigan Feb. 22 and 23.
Marcello Lippi has given his verdict on the AC Milan- Juventus encounter and labelled Manchester United’s recent victory in Turin a fluke.“Anything can happen in a one-off game,” Lippi told Football Italia via La Gazzetta dello Sport.“Milan are improving, but they really need to have Gonzalo Higuain in the box, so they’ll hope he recovers in time.”Juve have dropped points only twice this season, a draw against Genoa and a loss to Manchester United with two late goals, but World Cup winner Lippi was not impressed by Jose Mourinho’s approach.“That win was a fluke. Manchester United defended for 85 minutes, could’ve conceded four goals, Juve hit the woodwork twice, then they won with a free kick and basically an own goal. Juve will be very angry at their first defeat of the season, especially losing it that way.“Massimiliano Allegri is one of the best Coaches in the world. It’s not easy to win everything he has, not to mention reaching the Champions League Final twice. I can say that as someone who reached four Finals and unfortunately only won one of them.“Allegri reads the game well and is smart with his substitutions. He makes sure everyone feels important and rotates the squad because a truly big club needs to have 20 first choice players.Serie A Betting: Match-day 3 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Considering there is a number of perfect starts so early in the Serie A season, as well as a few surprisingly not-so perfect ones….“You can see the way he has developed and enriched Rodrigo Bentancur, teaching him to cover different roles in midfield.“Everyone loves Rino Gattuso, but he’s more than just a really nice guy. Grit is not enough at that level. His teams are organised, they try to play the ball. He has already done well against Juve and has everything it takes to be a fine Coach.”How would Lippi advise Milan and Gattuso to close down Cristiano Ronaldo?“People talk about building a cage for him, doubling or tripling the marking, but he might have three players around him and leave room for a teammate to score instead.“I worked with Zinedine Zidane, the essence of football, the greatest I ever had. Ronaldo is a goal-scoring machine and at the end of the day, that makes him more effective.“All Milan can do is play to the best of their abilities, stay solid, concentrated and hope Suso or Higuain can score.”