Benjamin Padanilam | The Observer Following an attack on London’s Houses of Parliament, the University confirmed the safety of ND abroad students.Students studying abroad in London this semester were put on lockdown in the midst of an attack Wednesday near the British Houses of Parliament and Westminster Bridge. The University confirmed the safety of all 167 students currently studying in London less than an hour after the incident, including nine students interning at Parliament at the time of the attack.Junior and Parliament intern Jim English was at work when the attack occurred and said he had a view of some of the action from his office window.“Outside my window on our ground floor office, there is a parking lot where a lot of [members of Parliament] park their cars,” he said in an email. “I was just chatting with my supervisor and another colleague when there was shouting out in the lot, and … [a] few seconds later, Prime Minister Theresa May was rushed through the parking lot and guided into a car where she was eventually taken away. We then learned that there was a shooting and the policemen were yelling for everyone to stay in their rooms.”Junior Hadyn Pettersen is studying abroad at St. Andrew’s University in Scotland this semester, but he was in London for a brief visit with his dad and uncle. Pettersen said in an email that he saw the aftermath of the attack firsthand.“I was on a tour bus with my dad and uncle, who had flown to St. Andrew’s earlier in the week to visit me,” he said. “… While on Westminster bridge, another passenger pointed across to the sidewalk and gasped. I looked and saw several people on the ground. A few had gruesome injuries. A few were motionless. I first thought a driver had lost control of his car, but looking down the length of the bridge it became obvious to me that the act was intentional.”Junior James Woodley is interning at a school in London through Notre Dame and was at the school when he learned about the attack from a friend interning at Parliament.“I believe the attack happened at [2:40 p.m.] or so, and at [3:05 p.m.] — when class was dismissed — the intercom asked the teachers to not dismiss the students,” he said in an email. “I have a friend who is one of the, I believe, nine interns at Parliament and he texted me explaining what info he had at the time and that he was alright. I stayed put at the school until they released the students, about a half hour later … I have always thought of London as a very safe city, and today was the first day I was worried walking around.”Junior and Parliament intern Caitlin McAuliffe said she had taken her visiting parents on a tour of the Parliamentary estate the day before the incident, but was not at work at the time of the attack.“My backpack was stolen at lunchtime from the pub I had eaten at with my parents, so I was in the Notre Dame building sorting out my stolen laptop, credit cards and phone when my Parliament intern group chat went off with people talking about it and being very upset,” she said. “Right now, I just feel really lucky that I wasn’t at work [Wednesday] or that I wasn’t showing my parents around the Parliamentary estate.”Junior Jaclyn Daily said students in Notre Dame London’s residence buildings generally felt more removed from the “tragic situation.”“Everyone was very calm as we all felt safe and fairly separated from the situation,” she said in an email. “We were on lockdown for 30-60 minutes. … Notre Dame accounted for all students within an hour and was constantly updating us with relevant information via emails.”Junior and Parliament intern Emily Gust said in an email that the quick work of local and Parliament authorities helped her stay calm and feel safe as she waited in lockdown at Parliament.“I was shocked as I saw it unfold, and when I heard it was a terrorist attack it made me a little nervous about a potential further attack,” she said.“But being in parliament, I felt very safe, because I could see all of the police officers and knew they had the area secured. It was a scary situation, but by remaining calm and trusting the authorities to do what was best, it felt a lot less frightening. My office really helped calm me down with their relaxed attitude, and I think that helped a lot.”While he was “shaken up” by his experience, English said he is grateful to those who prevented the situation becoming any worse.“It’s a bit surreal. I kind of feel like I just walked out of the movie theaters or off of a film set, so I don’t know if it’s completely hit me yet,” he said. “I’m definitely a bit shaken up by it, just considering how close I was to everything that happened. But it could have also been much worse, so I am very grateful and blessed at the same time. I’m thankful to all of the men and women who neutralized the situation [Wednesday] at Parliament and I’m grateful for the care and protection Notre Dame provides us with, especially in times of crisis.”Tags: London attack, London program, Parliament, study abroad
Share Share Share Tweet Sharing is caring! Bishop Micheal Daniel. Photo credit: dominicacentral.comDominica is host country for the Pentecostal assemblies of the West Indies annual regional conference currently underway.Host Bishop Michael Daniel says the meeting which began at the Garraway Hotel this morning will seek to assess the progress the assemblies has made over the past yearsThis meeting brings together all of the district bishops of the islands in the West Indies where we have churches and we will be discussing the forward movement of the fellowship, accessing the work that is being done by the organization…” he said.Bishop Daniel says a symposium will follow the two day meeting.He says all PAWI members will congregate at the Peoples auditorium in Goodwill Sunday for a rally to bring the conference to a close.PAWI Dominica currently has 26 churches and 24 pastors. The organization is over 100 years old.Dominica Vibes News 75 Views no discussions FaithLifestyleLocalNews PAWI conference currently underway in D’ca by: – June 22, 2011
Loading… Alex Sandro soon headed Juve’s point-saver to keep the Serie A leaders seven points clear of second-placed Atalanta with five games left as they eye a ninth successive crown. But Ronaldo had to wait until late on for the main exception to his own quiet night, his twinkling footwork conjuring a fierce shot well saved by home keeper Andrea Consigli. It was the first time in six Serie A games that the former Real Madrid and Manchester United forward has failed to score in Serie A, having amassed seven in six following the restart. Sassuolo’s Moroccan midfielder Mehdi Bourabia gives Cristiano Ronaldo a helping hand, which some feel the ref did too by not showing him a red card Read Also: Messi predicts Champions League doom if Barca fail to change But 32 goals so far this season, including 28 in the league, is still an incredible feat. And if Juve do retain the title Ronaldo will become the first player to win two domestic crowns apiece in Italy, Spain and England. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentTop 10 Tiniest Phones Ever Made2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearSuperhero Castings That People Hated But Were Amazing7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend BetterWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?A Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic Bombs6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually True6 Extreme Facts About HurricanesBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeFantastic-Looking (and Probably Delicious) Bread Art5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The World Frustrated Cristiano Ronaldo was hoping for another red letter day of amazing stats – but instead was just lucky to escape a red card. The Juventus superstar went into tonight’s 3-3 thriller at Sassuolo with 20 goals from his past 18 games, needing one more strike to become the first player to net 50 times in the Italian, Spanish and English top flights. Juventus frontman Cristiano Ronaldo was booked for a contentious challenge on Sassuoolo midfielder Francesco Magnanelli But as well as failing to provide a goal or assist for the first time in 19 matches, he also caught Sassuolo’s record-appearance holder Francesco Magnanelli with a studs-up challenge. Referee Paolo Valeri merely booked Ronaldo, who was perhaps showing his frustration as Sassuolo had turned a 2-0 deficit into a 3-2 lead.
New Delhi: Returning to action after a long lay-off of nearly two years due to injury, India’s premier gymnast Dipa Karmakar clinched the gold medal in the vault event of FIG Artistic Gymnastics World Challenge Cup at Mersin, Turkey on Sunday.The 24-year-old from Tripura, who had finished fourth in vault event in the 2016 Rio Olympics, scored 14.150 to win gold on Sunday. She had topped the qualification also with a score of 13.400.This is Dipa’s first medal in a World Challenge Cup.Dipa, who is being accompanied by her coach Bisheshwar Nandi, has also qualified in balance beam finals by finishing third in the qualification with a score of 11.850.Dipa had suffered an Anetrior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) injury after Rio Olympics and had undergone surgery. She was initially confident of making a comeback at the Commonwealth Games but rehabilitation took more time than expected and she missed the Gold Coast event.She has been included in the 10-member Indian gymnastics team for the upcoming Asian Games. For all the Latest Sports News News, Other Sports News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
Submit StumbleUpon Share Share Esports Entertainment bolsters tournament capacity by acquiring EGL August 27, 2020 ‘Deal maker’ Rafi Ashkenazi ends Flutter tenure August 27, 2020 Related Articles PokerStars moves to refresh global appeal with ‘I’M IN’ August 18, 2020 Updating the market, Toronto TSX-listed The Stars Goup Inc completes a busy week in which the company has successfully executed its public share offering raising $622 million in capital for its acquisition of Sky Betting & Gaming (Sky Bet).Last week, the Stars Group governance alerted investors that it would proceed with a new public share offering selling a combined 25 million common shares at a target price of $38.On Tuesday, the Stars Group confirmed that it had closed its public share transaction on the Nasdaq and Toronto TSX exchanges.Closing-in on its $4.7 billion acquisition of Sky Bet, the Stars Group governance has further launched a new unsecured private loan offering for $750 million, which will be made available to private institutions.In 2018, an M&A hungry Stars Group has moved to expand its global presence undertaking the acquisitions of CrownBet and William Hill Australia.In order to operate its newly enlarged capacity, the Stars Group governance has expanded its corporate debt facilities to + $5 billion, as the TSX firm seeks to become online gambling’s most valued listed enterprise.
Johannesburg, Monday 07 January 2019 – Brand South Africa welcomes South Africa’s improvement in the 2018 Index of Economic Freedom. In terms of economic freedom, the Heritage Foundation indicates that with a world rank of 77/180, South Africa is 4th in the African region. The country’s over-all economic freedom score improved with 0.7 on 2017.General Manager for Research for Brand South Africa, Dr Petrus de Kock said: “The index provides some insight into dimensions of the South African economic environment as the country continues to grapple with historical challenges, and the need to spur on entrepreneurship and innovation. Notable improvements for South Africa in 2018 include the improvement in the area of investment freedom, and judicial effectiveness. The latter is significant coming in a year where the administration of President Ramaphosa made investment a key focal area of its work.”South Africa’s improvement in the rankings comes as a result of advancements in the areas of property rights which is up from 67.6 in 2017 to 67.7 for 2018; judicial effectiveness increased from 59.7 in 2017 to 65.9; fiscal health sees an improvement of +4.6 from 70.7 in 2017; business freedom advanced by +3.1 points from 62.0 in 2017; labour freedom improved by +1.2 in 2018 from 58.9 in 2017; and investment freedom significantly improved by +10.0 from 40.0 in 2017. Notable is South Africa ranks higher than two European nations, being – Italy (79/180), and Greece (115/180).“We are pleased with the upward trend of the nation’s competitive performance, particularly since 2018 saw a declining global competiveness of the economy, and South Africa also slipped into a technical recession during the first half of the year which it moved out of after the economy saw a 2.2% rebound in the third quarter. It is therefore promising that South Africa, according to the 2018 Index of Economic Freedom, is ‘moderately free’ in terms of its economic activity. Economic freedom is about much more than a business environment where business flourishes, it has a far reaching impact on other aspects such as human development and the power of choice. Consequently, it remains imperative for South Africa to continue safeguarding openness to its market, government size and rule of law,” added Dr de Kock.On the global front based on the measurements of this index, the Heritage Foundation finds that the global average economic freedom score is 61.1, the highest score since inception of the index 24 years ago. At an aggregate level, of the 180 economies measured by the index in 2018 – 102 scored better, while the economic freedom scores of 75 got worse. In the case of South Africa it can be noted that the country is one of the 102 that improved its economic freedom score.Released on an annual basis by the Heritage Foundation, the Index of Economic Freedom provides insight into the extent to which governments enable an open and unrestricted economic environment for citizens and businesses to operate in.For more information or to set up interviews, please contact: Tsabeng NthiteTel: +27 11 712 5061Mobile: +27 (0) 76 371 6810Email:[email protected] www.brandsouthafrica.com
You can try to run a sales organization without a sales leader, but you will never generate the results you are capable of without one. All of the problems and challenges that will prevent you from acquiring clients and growing your revenue will stem from the lack of a leader. It isn’t a good idea to try to build a sales organization without having a leader in place.You can build a sales process designed to help you compel change, create value for your dream clients, and win new business. Without a leader to help salespeople learn, follow, and make adjustments to that process, the process is meaningless, worthless. With a leader, a process can provide an excellent framework for winning new deals.If you want to hire people without providing them a leader, you may as well take the money you would spend on that sales force, pour gasoline on the money, strike a match, and burn the money. Without a leader to set priorities, to set the cadence, to coach and develop them, salespeople will not perform to their true capacity. With a leader, you will have a sales force with priorities, an operating rhythm, and a coach who will improve their skills—and their results.Maybe you will do others have done before you, try to change the process, train the sales force, install a new methodology, or maybe fire the whole sales force and start over. Doing any or all of these will leave you exactly where these decisions have left the entrepreneurs and executive leaders who tried to change everything instead of hiring a leader. They were left in the same place as where they started, namely, lacking a sales leader.It is important to get things in the right order. Without providing the sales force with the leadership they need, you are not giving them a fair chance to succeed. Nor are you giving yourself that same chance. Hire the leader first, and then work on building around them.
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Fonte asks Arsenal target Pepe: Will you get a game at Man City?by Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLille defender Jose Fonte has urged teammate Nicolas Pepe to think carefully about his next move.Pepe is being linked with Arsenal and Barcelona ahead of the January market.But former Southampton captain Fonte says, “If you go to Manchester City and it does not work, you come out of the team. “And that’s not a problem for (Pep) Guardiola who has another player with the same talent, and he will continue to win. “So if you want to be in City, Barcelona or another big team, you have to work hard.”
ANN ARBOR, MI – OCTOBER 10: Michigan Wolverines head football coach Jim Harbaugh watches the action during the second quarter of the game against the Northwestern Wildcats on October 10, 2015 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The Wolverines defeated the Wildcats 38-0. (Photo by Leon Halip/Getty Images)Tonight, Coach Jim Harbaugh swapped his Michigan swag for Cubs attire.The crosstown rivalry game between the Chicago Cubs and White Sox tonight was kicked off by none other than Harbaugh himself.Harbaugh is no stranger to throwing off the mound, as he threw out the first pitch at a San Diego Padres game last year. Tonight, decked out in a Cubs jersey, he lifted his hat to the cheering crowd in thanks before taking his arms above his head in preparation for his throw.You can see Harbaugh’s powerful throw to the Cubs’ Matt Szczur here:Jim Harbaugh throws the first pitch and #CrosstownCSN Game 3 is underway! pic.twitter.com/kNwVIdDt9d— Comcast SportsNet (@CSNChicago) July 27, 2016While it was way too high to be a strike, the coach’s pitch was still an impressive attempt!