4 January 2012There was a two percent increase in the number of travellers moving in and out of South Africa in December compared to the same period last year, the Department of Home Affairs said on Tuesday.The department recorded 3.7-million travellers on its computer system in December, Home Affairs Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma said in a statement.Of these, over 2.5-million were foreigners and 1.2-million were locals. These numbers include both arrivals and departures.African, European, US visitorsThe majority of visitors came from Southern African Development Community countries, but there was also steady inflow from the United Kingdom, the United States of America and Germany.Most of the movement into and out of the country was through OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg, Cape Town International Airport, the Beit Bridge border post between South Africa and Zimbabwe, the Lebombo border post into Mozambique, Ficksburg and Maseru Bridge into Lesotho, Oshoek and Golela into Swaziland, and Kopfontein and Ramatlabama into Botswana.Dlamini-Zuma wished all travellers a safe journey.“I am confident all travellers enjoyed the warmth, hospitality and ubuntu of our people as well as the diversity and magnificence of our flora and fauna.”Western Cape tourism flourishesThe Western Cape’s Tourism Marketing Agency, meanwhile, said it has seen a rise in domestic tourism in the province.The province’s tourism industry has flourished since the start of December.Tourist attractions such as Table Mountain, the V&A Waterfront and Langebaan continue to be some of the most popular areas.Cape Town Route Unlimited’s Calvyn Gilfellan said they are expecting an increase of between five and eight percent this year.“There is definitely an increase. We have seen more numbers fuelled by the school holidays and international visitors. We will have an eight percent year-on-year growth for this particular part of the season,” he said.Sapa
Tags:#mobile#web Related Posts audrey watters Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology Telecommunications giant AT&T has released its numbers from the fourth quarter of 2010, and the report is good. The company boasts revenue of $31.4 billion, up 2.1% from the fourth quarter of 2009.Underlying some of this growth was an increase in wireless revenue for the company – a 9.9% growth. This was also the first quarter where wireless revenue outpaced wireline revenue. But the growth rate for new customers was the lowest in five years.AT&T said that it activated 4.1 million iPhones during the quarter, helping bring the company’s wireless subscribers up to 95.5 million total. The number of iPhones is down from the third quarter – AT&T’s best quarter ever for iPhone activations – but this was the second best quarter ever. And those 2.8 million new subscribers, says AT&T, made this its best quarter ever in terms of new subscribers. The company also said it had activated 442,000 tablets in Q4. AT&T calls the increase in tablets a “a new growth area for the company”.That “new growth area” may deflect from what will be AT&T’s last quarter as the exclusive carrier of the iPhone, as today’s figures come on the heels of the (long-awaited) announcement that its rival Verizon would start selling the iPhone – something starting February 3. AT&T noted that the fourth quarter was good for “churn” – subscribers switching carriers – but that number will undoubtedly change when the company reports on figures from the first quarter of this year. Nonetheless, these are strong figures from AT&T, as the company readies to do battle with Verizon over what is clearly the future – wireless subscriptions.
zoom The Yemeni port of Hodeidah, which closed in November after a rebel-fired ballistic missile, has received four cranes in an effort to allow faster delivery of relief items.The cranes, which will be operational immediately, are urgently needed to boost the capacity of Hodeidah Port, which handles around 70 percent of Yemen’s imports, including critically-needed food and humanitarian supplies.With each of the mobile cranes able to handle up to 60 tons, they will significantly boost the discharge of humanitarian cargo and other relief items. Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates facilitated the transfer of the cranes aboard the United Nations World Food Programme-chartered vessel MV JUIST to Yemen.Following the closure of the Red Sea ports Hodeidah and Saleef, which are under the control of Houthi rebels, Saudi Arabia-led Coalition allowed for the port of Hodeidah to reopen on November 22 in order to receive urgent humanitarian relief.In late December 2017, it was decided that the two ports would be open for one month for humanitarian and commercial goods. Since then, thirteen aid ships arrived at these ports, Saudi Press Agency cited the United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Yemen, Jamie McGoldrick, as saying.McGoldrick has also called on Houthis “to stop threatening Red Sea ports,” Saudi Press Agency writes.Following the closure of the Yemeni ports, in November 2017 the Houthi movement threatened to target commercial ships in the region, the Houthis’ official media outlet Al Masirah reported.Earlier in January, the Houthi movement threatened to block the Red Sea shipping lane, without disclosing any details on the alleged blockade, if the Saudi Arabia-led coalition continues moving toward the port of Hodeidah.According to the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), more than 22 million people in Yemen need humanitarian assistance, including 11.3 million who are in acute need – an increase of more than one million people since March 2017.World Maritime News Staff