EL SEGUNDO, CA – Kobe Bryant will have surgery Wednesday on his torn right rotator cuff, likely ending his 19th season with the Los Angeles Lakers.The team announced Bryant’s surgery Monday. He injured his shoulder last week in New Orleans.The Lakers will announce a timetable for Bryant’s recovery after surgery, but coach Byron Scott anticipates losing the third-leading scorer in NBA history for the rest of the year.“Kobe is probably not going to play” again this season, Scott said.“We all know how tough he is,” Scott added after Monday’s practice. “He’s a trooper, so we pray for him that his return will be sooner rather than later.”Bryant’s torn rotator cuff is likely his third straight season-ending injury. He missed the 2013 playoffs with a torn Achilles tendon, and he played just six games last season before breaking a bone near his left knee. His famously resilient body has finally worn down from the accumulated grind of 19 seasons and several lengthy postseasons with the Lakers, including five NBA title runs.After returning at nearly full strength in training camp, Bryant sat out eight games in the last month and played on a strict minutes limit to rest his 36-year-old body. He still dealt with assorted aches and setbacks before he injured his shoulder while dunking against the Pelicans.The Lakers reacted to the news with disappointment and respect for Bryant, who was selected to the All-Star game for the 17th time last week. Bryant is averaging 22.3 points, 5.7 rebounds and 5.6 assists this season.“Kobe is a warrior,” Lakers forward Carlos Boozer said. “He’s strong, and he’s going to attack rehab like he always has.”The Lakers also discouraged speculation that Bryant’s career might be over. He is the NBA’s highest-paid player at $23.5 million this season, and he is under contract for $25 million next year.“I think he’s done everything that you can possibly do in this league, and I think at times, we don’t appreciate all the stuff that he’s been able to accomplish,” Scott said. “I don’t think we appreciate how tough he is, all the injuries and other things that he’s played with, to be able to come back the way that he’s come back. I don’t see Kobe as the type of guy that wants to leave his legacy on (these) terms. I think he wants to go out on his own terms. We’ll just have to wait and see.”The Lakers (12-33) are in the midst of another aimless season, losing eight straight heading into Tuesday’s visit from Washington. The 16-time NBA champion franchise is almost certain to miss the playoffs in consecutive seasons for the first time since 1976.The Lakers also owe a first-round draft pick to the Phoenix Suns to complete their disastrous trade for Steve Nash, who played just 50 games in three years and never suited up this season. But Los Angeles will keep the pick this summer if it lands in the top five, providing ample incentive for fans to hope the Lakers’ collapse is total.Bryant wasn’t at the Lakers’ training complex Monday, and he didn’t attend their loss to Houston on Sunday night. Scott plans to speak with Bryant throughout the week to see what he’s thinking about his future, but he hopes Bryant isn’t ready to quit.“With the Achilles last year, everybody said he was done,” Scott said. “He came back and I think the first month of the season, he proved to everybody that he still has a lot left in the tank. I think he still has that hunger and that competitive nature to come out and prove it again. After the surgery, I’ll talk to him and see how it is. We’ll talk and we’ll go from there.”GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer TweetPinShare0 Shares
State Senator Randy Feenstra’s resignation as chair of the Iowa Senate Ways and Means Committee spurred Republican party leadership to shuffle committee assignments.Senate Majority Leader Jack Whitver named Senator Jake Chapman of Adel to replace Feenstra as chairman of Ways and Means.Whitver also appointed Council Bluffs Senator Dan Dawson to chair the Senate Commerce Committee.And Senator Jim Carlin of Sioux City will serve as chairman of the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee.Carlin says he looks forward to passing legislation to support Iowa’s veterans and thank them for their service.”
New Delhi: Talented India opener Prithvi Shaw was on Tuesday banned from all forms of cricket for a period of eight months after failing a dope test, the BCCI said. A BCCI release said Shaw had “inadvertently ingested a prohibited substance, which can be commonly found in cough syrups”. Shaw’s suspension is retrospective in nature, starting from March 16 and ending on November 15. Apart from Shaw, two other cricketers — Akshay Dullarwar and Divya Gajraj — were also suspended for the same offence. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over ChandigarhShaw had provided a urine sample as part of the BCCI’s anti-doping testing programme during the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy on February 22, 2019 in Indore. His sample was subsequently tested and found to contain terbutaline. “Terbutaline, a specified substance, is prohibited both In and Out of Competition in the WADA Prohibited List of Substances,” the BCCI release stated. “Prithvi Shaw registered with Mumbai Cricket Association, has been suspended for doping violation,” the BCCI said. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced laterTerbutaline is generally used to treat problems related to breathing and can be consumed if the athlete in question avails a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) certificate in advance, which Shaw didn’t avail. The 19-year-old, who has played two Test matches for India scoring 237 runs with a hundred and a half-century, had earlier pulled out of India A’s one day and Test series against West Indies A reportedly due to a hip injury. The 19-year-old junior World Cup winning skipper had made a mark last year, hitting a hundred on Test debut against the West Indies, but was sent back from the tour of Australia after twisting his ankle during a practice game. Shaw is currently at the National Cricket Academy undergoing rehabilitation for a reported hip injury, but the BCCI statement is an indicator that he was pulled out of Mumbai Premier League after testing positive. The BCCI said that Shaw was charged with violating BCCI’s Anti-Doping Rules (ADR) article 2.1. “On 16th July 2019, Shaw was charged with the commission of an Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV) under the BCCI Anti-Doping Rules (ADR) Article 2.1 and provisionally suspended pending determination of the charge. “Shaw responded to the charge by admitting the ADRV but asserting that it was inadvertent, being caused by his ingestion of the over the counter cough syrup he had taken for his cough,” the release stated. Shaw explained that he had taken terbutaline inadvertently to treat a respiratory tract infection and not as a performance-enhancing drug. “Having considered all of the evidence and taken expert external advice, the BCCI has accepted Shaw’s explanation of the cause of his ADRV, and on that basis has agreed that a period of ineligibility of eight months should apply, together with disqualification of certain results,” the BCCI ruled.