Eastwood became vice-chancellor of the University of Birmingham in April 2009. Former posts include chief executive of the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE), vice-chancellor of the University of East Anglia (UEA) and chief executive of the Arts and Humanities Research Board.He was originally appointed by the Universities UK organisation, the representative group for USS sponsoring employers.Retired Harris joined the UK’s largest scheme as a director in April 1991, when he served as vice-chancellor of the University of Essex.He became deputy-chair of the £41.6bn (€57bn) pension fund in 2004, taking over as chairman two years later.In his final months as chair of the scheme, Harris oversaw a debate between the employers group and trade unions over the future of the scheme.The current proposals, set to be implemented by the USS board, include fully closing the final salary section of the DB fund and moving all members’ future accrual to career-average benefits.USS opened a career-average section for new employees in 2011, accounting for one-third of the scheme’s members.In addition to dropping final salary benefits for academics, the fund will become a hybrid scheme with defined contribution accrual for all entitlements above a £55,000 earnings cap. The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has appointed a chairman after the retirement of Sir Martin Harris last week.Sir David Eastwood will now move from being a director on the trustee board of one of the UK’s largest defined benefit (DB) schemes to chairman.Harris stepped down at the end of March after nine years as chairman and 14 years on the board.Eastwood, vice-chancellor at the University of Birmingham, joined the USS board in 2007 and will now be replaced by Anton Muscatelli of the University of Glasgow.
In other outbreak-related developments:— IndyCar is still in limbo as to when its season can start, so the series will go virtual racing to create new content. The first of six iRacing events will be held Saturday and streamed to viewers. IndyCar announced 25 drivers scheduled to compete. The field may not be complete as many expect NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson to enter the event. The track is being decided by fan vote.— The WNBA has announced its draft will be a virtual event this season due to the coronavirus pandemic. The draft will be held on April 17 as originally scheduled but will be broadcast without players, fans or media in attendance. WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert says the league is still looking at different scenarios for the start of the regular season, but notes it could begin before the NBA resumes play. One option for the WNBA could be to move its schedule back with the postponement of the 2020 Olympics. The league was scheduled to go on a month-long break starting July 10 during the Tokyo Games. — Football Federation Australia wants FIFA and the IOC to increase the age limit for the Olympic men’s tournament in the wake of the Tokyo Games being pushed back to 2021 because of the coronavirus pandemic. Australian Olympic Committee chief executive Matt Carroll and FFA chief executive James Johnson plan to “open up discussions” with soccer’s world governing body and the Asian Football Confederation on increasing the age limit from 23 to 24. That would give some older players who qualified for the Olympics this year an opportunity to compete next year.— Real Madrid and Spanish sports authorities say the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium will be used to store donations of medical supplies to help combat the coronavirus outbreak.The soccer club says it will use the stadium to store private donations. They will then be distributed by government authorities to hospitals. Spain has more than 56,000 reported infections and more than 4,000 fatalities from the COVID-19 virus. Civic groups, businesses and individuals are donating much-needed masks and any material that can used to make protective gear for doctors and nurses. March 26, 2020 Update on the latest sports Turkish boxer who competed in London has virusUNDATED (AP) — The Turkish Boxing Federation says a national team member and a trainer have tested positive for the coronavirus after returning from an Olympic qualifying competition in London.The Turkish team says the two men are being treated in a hospital and two others with symptoms are awaiting test results.The federation says the boxing team went to a training camp in Sheffield on March 3 to prepare for the competition and traveled to London on March 11. All team members stayed at the same hotel and ate at the same cafeteria. The Turkish team competed on March 15 and 16 and returned home on March 17 after the International Olympic Committee Halted the competition. All team members were quarantined on return.The IOC says it is “not aware of any link” between the tournament and the positive tests. It says in a lts statement that it was “not possible to know the source of infection.” Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditMLB-NEWSA quiet opening dayUNDATED (AP) — Ballparks will be empty Thursday on what was supposed to be Major League Baseball’s opening day, with the start of the regular season on hold because of the coronavirus pandemic. Associated Press — The Italian soccer federation has offered up its hotel and auditorium for people having their health monitored amid the coronavirus outbreak. The facilities outside Florence are normally used by Italy’s national soccer teams and also host high-level courses for coaches and sporting directors.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 To help fill the void, MLB is offering fans some oldies but goodies. It will air one memorable game for each franchise Thursday on its YouTube, Twitter and Facebook pages. And the MLB Network plans to broadcast classic opening day games throughout the day.If there is no baseball this year, Mookie Betts and all the players set to be free agents after the 2020 season would still get that chance. That’s part of a broad deal being negotiated by the commissioner’s office and the players’ association, according to a person familiar with the talks. The person told The Associated Press the agreement would credit major leaguers with the same service time this year that they earned in 2019 if there’s no season because of the new coronavirus.The person said Major League Baseball and the union would agree to try to play as many regular season games as possible. They also would agree to explore one-time changes to the postseason, which would create the possibility of expanded playoffs this year.Reds pitcher Trevor Bauer, Mets hurler Marcus Stroman, Astros outfielder George Springer and Phillies catcher JT Realmuto (ree-al-MOO’-toh) also would be eligible for free agency, even if the season is canceled.VIRUS OUTBREAK-SPORTS
Italian champions Juventus have backed their star forward Cristiano Ronaldo in the wake of a summon being issued for the five-time Ballon d’Or winner over an alleged rape.Kathryn Mayorga accused the player of sexual assault in her hotel room in 2009 via an interview released last Friday by Der Spiegel.Las Vegas Police Department (LVPD) have since confirmed that they are reopening the case but Juve, who signed Ronaldo from Real Madrid in the summer for £100m ($128m), have vowed to stand by their player via statements posted on social media. “Cristiano Ronaldo has shown in recent months his great professionalism and dedication, which is appreciated by everyone at Juventus,” the Turin giants said via Twitter.“The events allegedly dating back to almost 10 years ago do not change this opinion, which is shared by anyone who has come into contact with this great champion.”The statement comes in the way of a denial from the player, who said: “Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in.“Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense.”Meanwhile, Ronaldo’s lawyer has previously said: “The reporting in Spiegel is blatantly illegal.”He added that he had been instructed to seek compensation for “moral damages” over “probably one of the most serious violations of personal rights in recent years”.A statement released from LVPD, reported by the BBC, said: “At the time the report was taken, the victim did not provide detectives with the location of the incident or suspect description.“As of September 2018, the case has been reopened and our detectives are following up on information being provided.”Ronaldo missed the club’s midweek 3-0 Champions League encounter against Young Boys after being dismissed in their opening match against Valencia for which he received a one-game ban, but is slated to make a return for the Serie A leaders when they face Udinese in league action today.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECasino Insider: Here’s a look at San Manuel’s new high limit rooms, Asian restaurant160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! UNIVERSAL CITY – Tahitian noni’s devotees believe it cures everything from lumbago to dysentery, but it’s also a multimillion dollar boost for the tourism industry. The lumpy tropical fruit and its products have brought more than 6,200 people to town as part of the International Tahitian Noni Conference, a five-day convention wrapping up tonight. Using the Gibson Amphitheatre and Universal CityWalk as its base, the confab will bring an estimated $5.3 million into local coffers. Based on native cures in Tahiti, the Philippines and Hawaii, it’s made into everything from lip balm to an antioxidant rich juice, used in equine medicine and endorsed by basketballer Chauncey Billups and actor Danny Glover. Hawked by an army of fervent salespeople, noni beverages, candies and skin-care products have sold over $3 billion worth of goods in the past 10 years. “It’s actually a fruit that grows wild in the Polynesian Islands,” said Shon Whitney, vice president of marketing communications for Provo, Utah-based Tahitian Noni International. “It’s not a real pretty fruit, but it’s been used for thousands of years as a really healthful product.” And now, a healthful boost for San Fernando Valley business, as well. LA Inc., the city’s convention and visitors bureau, spent the last year trying to attract more conferences to Valley locations, playing up enhancements at Universal Studios Hollywood and improved transportation. The juice extravaganza, which rented out the entire theme park Wednesday night for its conventioneers and will send them off with a Huey Lewis concert tonight, represents the first success in the campaign. According to LA Inc., it provided eight hotels from Glendale to Woodland Hills with 10,000 total room nights, occupied by visitors from 52 foreign countries. “This is a big chunk of people,” said Christopher Heywood, LA Inc.’s manager of corporate communications. “It’ll be a model for the future, where we’ll use it as a catalyst to build future business.” Tahitian Noni International, though committed to Las Vegas for its 2007 show, plans to return based on its experience this week, and word of the convention has already stirred up new business for local venues. “The Valley was sort of an island off by itself before,” said Jill Przelenski, the Gibson Amphitheatre’s director of special events. “The corporate market has bounced back. Just this week, I got a call from Herbalife, which hasn’t been here since 2002. When an event like this goes off well, the phones just start ringing.” Brent Hopkins, (818) 713-3738 [email protected]