Tag Archive: 上海枫桥苑

Barcelona against haste of introducing bigger Club World Cup

first_imgGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Also Friday, the FIFA Council will be asked to approve the recommendations of a feasibility study into adding another 16 teams for the Qatar World Cup in 2022.The council will be asked to allow FIFA and Qatar to jointly submit a proposal on using “one or more additional co-host countries” in the Persian Gulf before a final decision in June on enlarging the World Cup from 32 to 48 teams.A document sent to the FIFA Council says its members will be asked if they agree with the report’s conclusion that World Cup expansion is “feasible provided that neighboring countries host some matches.”The FIFA study seen by the AP says Qatar would not be forced to share games with Bahrain, Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates unless those countries restore diplomatic and travel ties with Doha. Because of their neutrality in the situation, Kuwait and Oman are indicated to be the current possible options identified by FIFA to host games in 2022 but their stadium infrastructure is only briefly assessed in a FIFA report.Venues in at least one more country would be required to cope with the additional 16 teams and 16 games under the expansion proposal.“As long as it’s well studied and well thought out, I think CONCACAF would have no issues supporting that,” said Montagliani, who leads the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Football.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next FILE – In this Sunday, July 15, 2018 file photo, France goalkeeper Hugo Lloris holds the trophy aloft after the final match between France and Croatia at the 2018 soccer World Cup in the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, Russia. (AP Photo/Matthias Schrader, File)MIAMI — The president of Barcelona spoke out against the haste to introduce a 24-team Club World Cup in 2021 ahead of the FIFA Council deciding Friday whether to approve the pilot of the enlarged tournament.European clubs have publicly resisted FIFA’s bid to replace the current seven-team annual Club World Cup, which is played annually in December, with an expanded quadrennial version in June-July.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award In the first edition, South America would have six slots — one based on previous performances. Three each would go to teams from Africa, Asia and CONCACAF, which represents North and Central America. Oceania would get one representative. The confederations would decide their own qualification process, whereas now each continental champion qualifies for the Club World Cup along with the host country.“We know the current form doesn’t work,” FIFA Vice President Victor Montagliani told the AP. “The top clubs in the world have fans all over the world. So, I think it’s a natural progression of that competition.”The expanded tournament would start with eight groups of three, with the winners advancing to the quarterfinals. Teams would play two to five matches over a maximum of 18 days.According to a FIFA document seen by the AP, the governing body’s council will be asked on Friday to approve a trial 24-team Club World Cup running from June 17-July 4, 2021. That is the slot previously reserved for the Confederations Cup, which serves as a test event in a host nation a year before the World Cup.“An opportunity to keep growing the competition will always be accepted from our league and our clubs,” Enrique Bonilla, the president of the Mexican league, told the AP. “It helps to give exposure and it helps to make clubs from other parts of the world to be more competitive, and to grow, and to learn from those great players that are now playing in Europe.”ADVERTISEMENT Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title View comments Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history Rogue cops marked as Gamboa’s targets in his appointment as PNP chief Eugenie Bouchard’s bid for Australian Open spot ends in qualifying MOST READ Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra Errol Spence eyes ‘pound-for-pound’ status in Mikey Garcia showdown LATEST STORIES Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Barcelona President Josep Bartomeu backs a revamp of the competition, just not until the entire calendar for club and national team matches is reconfigured for 2024 and beyond to cope.“We have to take care of the footballers,” Bartomeu said in an interview with The Associated Press in Miami, where the FIFA Council is meeting. “We have to take care about the way of training and the vacation they need to recover every season that they do. If the calendar is not modified, of course we cannot agree.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets‍‍‍ offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsIn 2021, FIFA envisages the window for international matches — which is likely to include 2022 World Cup qualifiers — running May 31-June 8. The Club World Cup would be held June 17-July 4, while the African Cup of Nations and CONCACAF Gold Cup could be played July 5-July 31. European club seasons typically start around mid-August.FIFA believes the proposed 24-team Club World Cup would “promote and grow football for the benefit of all confederations, member associations, leagues, clubs and fans,” according to a task force report on new FIFA competitions seen by the AP. Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines?last_img read more

Mozambique dump Malawi out of COPA

first_imgJoao Faizal doubled the advantage for the victorious team from the penalty spot after a Malawian defender was adjudged to have handled the ball in the box.This loss implies Malawi have no chance of winning this tournament following their opening day 2-1 defeat at the hands of Uganda.Meanwhile, Tanzania and South Africa played to a barren draw in the other match played Tuesday.Hlongwane Njabulo, Nxumalo Lulama and Captain Buthelezi Thando were particularly impressive for South Africa whilst Omary Said and Hemed Benjamin created interesting opportunities for the East African nation early on.The match gradually transformed into an end to end affair with both teams seeking to break the deadlock during the lively opening half, however, the match ended without a goal.South African goalkeeper, Asiphesona Loliwe (right) saves the ball from the Tanzanian Hemed David during the COPA Coca-Cola Africa Cup Championship.The second half was equally balanced with most of the action taking part in the middle of the park. The game witnessed several stoppages due to injuries before the sides shared the spoils.“I am happy we didn’t concede but I am a little disappointed that we didn’t score because we had good chances. I think the injuries to my two key players played a part in the result but overall I am happy with the performance. We now have to perform better in our next match against Angola,” said Tanzania coach Abel Mtweve said.“It was a tough match because we played yesterday when it was raining and my players struggled to pass the ball around today. But I think it was a good show overall. Tanzania too played very well, they were strong and quick and I am happy because it was a good game for both teams,” South Africa coach Isaac Shai added.The group standings are taking shape with South Africa leading the group with four points from two games in the wake of their opening 10-0 win over Angola. Tanzania is second with that solitary point and Angola are bottom of the pile.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Mozambique’s, Faizal Ali (left), defends his ball possession against Malawi’s, Peterson Nyamwera during the COPA Coca Cola Africa Cup Tournament held at Nakuru Boys High School grounds. Mozambique beat Malawi, 2-0.NAKURU, Kenya, Dec 11 – Malawi are the first team to be dumped out of the Copa Coca-Cola African Cup of Nations after suffering a 2-0 loss at the hands of Mozambique at the Nakuru High School on Tuesday.The red-hot Mozambique scored the first goal immediately after the restart through super-sub Luis Filipe’s ferocious shot.last_img read more